FAQ – Accounts & Profiles

Accounts & Profiles

I forgot my password, how can I reset it?

Resetting your password is a two-step process. After you click “log in” on the top navigation bar, select the link that says “forgot password?” (or just click this link here: http://commons.gc.cuny.edu/wp-login.php?action=lostpassword). You will be taken to a page where you need to enter your email address then click “get new password.” You should receive an email shortly thereafter that includes a link you need to click which will take you to a page where you can reset your password.

How can I edit my profile information?

After logging into the Commons, go to the top black navigation bar and hover over your avatar.  Select: My Profile» Edit. From here you can update your display name, college, role, title, academic interests, websites, and additional profile fields that make up your Online CV.  For more information, see Managing your Commons Profile/Portfolio.

How do I upload a photo of myself to appear on my profile and other areas?

After logging into the Commons, go to the top black navigation bar and hover over your existing (or default) photo.  Go to My Profile»Change Profile Photo.  Here you will find detailed instructions on how to upload an image. You can also create a gravatar, which will enable you to use that same image across many different types of websites.

How do I change my display profile name?

After logging into the Commons, go to the top black navigation bar and select: My Profile» Edit.  In the text box under “Full Name (required)” fill in your preferred name, then scroll down and select “Save Changes.”

How do I invite colleagues to join the Commons?

Members of the Commons can invite CUNY colleagues to become members and join specific groups. See the post in the Commons Codex to see how to combine these tasks.

How do I change my display email?

To update the email listed on your profile, go to the top black navigation bar, hover over your avatar in the top right corner and select: My Profile» Edit. To change your display email, re-write your preferred email in the ‘Email Address’ field, then scroll down and select “Save Changes.” Please note: this will not update the email where you receive notifications from the Commons. See the FAQ below for instructions on updating your email notification address.

What are mentions and how are they used?

The @mention system links others to the hyperlinked profile of the individual while notifying the individual of the mention via email. If you are trying to reach out to specific group members, simply put the @ symbol in front of their username and it will send a notification to their email address and show up in their @mention activity stream. To learn more about the @mention system read this blog post.

What are “friends”?

When you become friends with another member of the Commons, you will start seeing her/his activity on your “My Commons” page. It’s a great way to keep track of what’s going on the Commons that is relevant to you.  To accept a friendship request, you can either follow the link in the e-mail you receive, or if your are logged onto the Commons, you will see a notification in the top right corner, to the left of your avatar.  You’ll be directed to a web page that lets you to accept or reject the friendship request.

What are “notifications”?

The Notification link (on the top right bar of the Commons, just to the left of your avatar) indicates if you have a new message, friend request, or invitation to join a group.  Zero indicates that you have no notifications.

How do I change my email account where I receive email notifications through the Academic Commons?

To change the email account where you receive email notifications, go to the top black navigation bar, hover over your avatar on the top right corner, and select: My Settings » General. Re-write your preferred email account in the ‘Account Email’ field, then scroll down and select “Save Changes.”

How do I send a message?

To send an email to another member, you can either find them on the member list or you can hover over your avatar in the top right corner, click the “My Messages” link on the left, and click “Compose.”  Start typing the person’s first name in the addressee box and the program will give you a list of all the members whose names include the letters you’re typing.  Next to the addressee box is an empty box for copying other members. Do the same thing in this box that you just did for the addressee. Each time, you do this, a new box will appear for another person to whom you might want to send a copy of the message.

How can I change email notification settings?

Go to the top black navigation bar and hover over your avatar in the top right corner.  Click My Settings >> Email.  Here you can choose whether you want to receive an email notification for a variety of activities, including posts to the groups you belong to, posts by your friends, posts to blogs you subscribe to, or follow, and messages.

Can member profiles be made private? How can I prevent my profile from showing up in a google search?

Right now, there is not a way to make Profiles private, but we can look into developing that functionality. For now, users worried about privacy should avoid using their full names on their profiles (some combination of initials and first or last names might be good). Certain profile fields can be made visible to only yourself, to your friends on the Commons, logged in members of the Commons, or the default – to everyone.  To change profile field visibility, go to click on the “Change” hyperlink next to the text that reads: “This field can be seen by: Everyone Change.” Most, be not every field has this visibility setting.

How Do I Delete My Account?

To delete your account, go to the top black navigation bar and hover over your avatar in the upper right corner.  Click My Settings >> Delete Account, then follow the directions on the page.

How can I change my password?

After logging into the Commons, go to the top black navigation bar and hover over your avatar.  Go to: My Settings» General. Enter your current password and  your new password, then scroll down and select “Save Changes.”

Creative Commons License

Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message