How to Adjust Your Site Privacy Settings

Sites created on the Commons are automatically visible to everyone. To adjust the privacy settings on your individual/group site please follow these 5 easy steps:

1. Go to the Dashboard of your individual or group site.
  2. Scroll down the left navigation bar and select the ’Settings’ tab.
  3. Select the ‘Privacy’ link from the drop down menu.
  4. Select one of the 5 choices below to adjust your blog’s visibility:
    • I would like my site to be visible to everyone, including search engines (like Google, Bing, Technorati) and archivers;
    • I would like to block search engines, but allow normal visitors
    • I would like my site to be visible only to registered users from the site community
    • I would like my site to be visible only to registered members of this site
    • I would like my site to be visible only to administrators of this site
  5. Select ‘Save Changes’ and you’re done!

Password Protecting Parts of Your Site

If you would like to make particular blog post private so that only you or a group of people you select can view them, publish modulethere are some steps that you will need to take.

To make a particular post private, follow these steps when you are editing your post:

1. Navigate to the Publish module on the right side of the page. (The Publish module is used to set who can read your posts.)
  2. Under the Visibility area you can choose to make your post either:
    • “Password protected” (in which case you will enter a password that you will then share with whomever you wish to view your post) or
    • “Private” (which means that only blog Editors and Administrators will be able to view your post).
  3. Select “OK” then “Publish”/”Update”. These changes will go into effect immediately, but can be updated anytime if you choose to change the visibility of your post.

To learn how to add new users to your blog and set their roles, click here.

Creative Commons License

Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message