Available to every member, our set of collaborative tools include:
- Groups – you can join or start any number of groups and take advantage of the following functionality: (1) group forums – where members can start new topics, or participate in discussion threads; (2) group docs – a ways to collaborate on documents with group members – kind of like a private wiki; (3) file uploads – create repositories of data for members of your group to access; (4) group announcements – admins and moderators of groups post timely announcements for the whole group to read; and (5) group blogs, which extend group functionality and provide a way to publicize group work, either privately or publicly.
- WordPress Sites – the Commons members can create an unlimited number of WP sites (aka “blogs” or websites). We have over 800 themes and 200 plugins that will help you create a unique websites. Our new Hosting Partner Handbook outlines the various non-standard customizations available, and includes procedures and guidelines for domain mapping requests, customized themes, new plugins, and site migrations.
- Domain Mapping – You can map your own domain to a WordPress site on the Commons and take advantage of our free website hosting. For example – The European Stages site on the Commons is https://europeanstages.commons.gc.cuny.edu/ but when clicked goes to its mapped URL – http://europeanstages.org/.
- My Commons – a personal homepage that highlights the network of friends, groups, and sites you develop on the Commons. Explore content relevant to you and stay current with your connections by establishing friendships, joining groups, and following WordPress sites that you find interesting.
- Profile/Portfolio/CV – use the Commons to establish an online presence. We provide a sophisticated system to maintain member profiles, with easy-to-use widgets to list publications, education, positions, academic interests, RSS feeds, etc.
- Notification settings – handle how you want to receive email notifications – right away, once a day, once a week, not at all… We have granular settings that help tailor the way you stay in touch with Commons groups and friends.
- Reply by Email – When you receive an email notification from the Commons, you don’t have to log on to the Commons to reply. You can reply from the comfort of your email in-box.
- Messaging – Write and receive private messages to and from any member of the Commons
- Personal Announcements – let our community know what’s happening. The Commons provides a space for everyone to post latest news.